Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sweet Corn Pudding

I WILL NOT EAT GREEN EGGS AND HAM.....I WILL NOT EAT THEM SAM I AM. OK, this is what was going through my head when I read this recipe in my Nigella Bites book. The picture of the recipe was unsettling also. This egg concoction with canned corn is supposed to taste good?! Well my friends, "don't knock it till you've tried it". My plan for tonight was to make a Coca-Cola Ham then, the next night use left over ham to pair up with this sweet corn pudding. I thought I had it made until I unwrapped the commissary label from the supposed "ham" revealing the manufacturers label. Instead of it being Ham, suddenly this ham turned into roasted pork shoulder. I cursed myself because my week menu had been spoiled. 'No worries', I thought 'I'll just make this pudding stuff tonight and pair it with this pork sholder'. So, off I went.

This recipe is by no means health food. Though easy, it does take a little more time than the run of the mill half our week day meal. However, it is soooooo satisfying and my 2 year old didn't throw it on the floor. Also, if you do have small children in the house, you may have all of these ingredients on hand. Plus, it's a fairly inexpensive dish as the ingredients aren't to exotic! Truely, it sound odd but, this is really good comfort food.

Nigella put this into her "trashy" chapter. I resent this label just a tad as she has also put such recipes like corn bread and fried chicken in this chapter. Clearly to any American, these are respectable staples in our diet. Furthermore, as the wife of a Southerner I'm a offended. But, I degress. The food is good no matter what label is put on it.

I didn't have the exact amount of corn. I just bought 2 cans and threw them in and it worked out. Instead of butter in the baking pan, I used pam. I don't like how butter sometimes burns and pam is just easier. This corn pudding is suggested serving for 8. However, I'd say a hungry family of 4 could finish it off.

5 eggs
18 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) canned sweet corn, drained
14 ounces (about 1 3/4 canned creamed corn
1 1/3 cups whole milk
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
generous 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the over to 375 degrees. Butter an ovenproof dish about 12x10". Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and then add, beating unenergetically, all the other ingredients. Pour into the buttered dish and cook for about an hour, by which time it should have set within and puffed up slightly on top. Serves 8

Tomorrow, my plan is to make South Beach Black Bean Soup. We shall see if this recipe too will make my blog!

2 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Barbara

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Barbara. This corn pudding was very good. I couldn't believe it at first. I would have never thought of pairing such ingredients!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home