Monday, January 23, 2006

Bacardi Rum Bundt Cake

My Aunt Tori gave this recipe to me on my wedding shower. The recipe also accompanied several baking pans: spring form and a bundt pan. My Aunt Tori is my Moms life long friend from child hood. I do not like to bake. I've heard a saying that people who hate to cook love baking. I suppose, I'm the opposite of that rule. That being said this is so easy to make especially if you buy the cake mix with pudding already in it. Thankfully, the commissary had this as they were out of instant vanilla pudding mix.

I made this today as a gift to our wonderful neighbors who stopped by last night and gave us one of their old kerosine heaters. They are awesome and I wanted to make them one of my best cakes to thank them. I just hope that they like it!
For the Cake
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1 box yellow cake mix (see note below)
  • 1 3 3/4 ounce box Jell-o Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup vegitable oil
  • 1/2 cup Bicardi dark rum (80 proof)

For the Glaze

  • 1/4 pound butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup Bacardi rum (80 proof)
  • Whipped Cream (Optional)
NOTE: if using yellow cake mix with pudding alredy in the mix omit instant pudding, use 3 eggs instead of 4 and 1/3 cup oil instead of 1/2.

Preheat oven to 325 F
Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan & Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. Mix cake ingreadients together & Pour over nuts. Bake for 1 hour & Cool. For the Glaze, melt butter in sauce pan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stiring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in rum. Prick the top of the cake. Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until glaze is used up. Decorate with whipped cream if desired. Or serve with ice cream (pecan or toffee flavors work great.)

3 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Mmmm. That sounds SOOO good. I will have to make it once I have the baby.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger ReyLynda said...

WOW...I forgot to tell you when I ran into you on the base today....my husband tried the Rum cake that I took home from Book Club.

HE ATE EVERY PIECE! And he's not a sweet-eater. He just devoured it. So that's what I'm making for his birthday cake this year! Thaniks for this!

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was such a tasty cake!! Yum! Thanks for posting this recipe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home