Sunday, January 22, 2006

South Beach Black Bean Soup

This is not for the weak at heart. If you love Coca-Cola you will enjoy this recipe. I tried this after making a variation of the Ham in Coca-Cola. Which I will also include on the site. I'd have to say that this wasn't one of my most favorite recipes but Mike really liked it. I had never used coriander in a recipe before. It was always one of those spices that I had but never used. This recipe calls for ground coriander which, I couldn't find at the commissary. So, I used the whole coriander but placed it in my little chopping machine/coffee grinder and that pretty much did the trick. Also, instead of letting the black beans soak, Nigella just says she boils them in water for 10 minutes before cooking.

- About 3 cups (18 ounces) black beans
- Coca-Cola Ham stock from earlier recipe
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander

to serve:

- sour cream
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges

Cook the black beans in enough coca-cola ham stock and water, if needed, to cover by about 2 inches until they're tender. Let the liquid first come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove about 3 ladles of the soup to a blender, add the lime juice and ground spices, blitz to a muddy puree and stir this back into the pan of soup. And that's it.

Swil some sour cream, as you please, into the bowls of the soup as you ladle them out and sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro. Plonk the lime wedges onto the table and let people squeeze the sharp juice into this dense, sweet soup as they eat.
Serves 8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home