Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chai Tea Latte Ice Cream

I am a self proclaimed Trader Joe's addict. I love their stuff. Mike's parents sent us a Christmas care package several years ago from TJ's and it had a can of Trader Joe's Spicy Chai Latte mix. YUMMY! Mike loves Chai Latte's from Starbucks. We thought this would save us a little $$$ by making our own. Now that we are hooked on yet another TJ product, I decided to experiment. I love Ice Cream and I love Chai Tea.....what if I made it into an ice cream flavor.

As my ice cream maker churns away in the other room, I am quickly typing away my first or, beginner recipe of this fabulous flavor. Because the mix also has a dairy powder in it, the ice cream is coming out super creamy. I was worried that it would be grainy with the addition of sugar but, it's hasn't gotten gritty so far.



1 cup whole milk
4 scoops of Trader Joe's Spicy Chai Latte Mix
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups cream (about 1 larger carton)

Using an electric mixer, mix whole milk, sugar and TJ's Spicy Chai Latte Mix until well incorporated. I did about 2 minutes (pausing a couple times to scrape the sides) on level 2 with my Kitchen Aid stand alone mixer. Then mix in cream (on low with your mixer! We don't want whipped cream. Although, that does give me another idea!). Pour into your ice cream maker and follow their operation instructions. Then freeze until desired consistency.

This recipe has given me more ideas. I even have one in the works for a Mexican hot chocolate ice cream. I wonder too if I could use almond milk in place of whole milk? Maybe I can leave out the sugar? We shall see!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

I am having Japan years withdrawals. I am no longer allowed to read your blog. What happened?
-Ginny

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ginny,

We are no longer in Japan. So, for the safety of our family we decided not to continue with our blog. Too much information about ourselves in on there. Thanks for reading! Please stay tuned. Every once in a while, I'll be posting on this site about other things besides cooking! For some great links to other blogs about Japan check out sushicam.com. I'll do some research myself and try to put some more links up.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

O..I didn't know that you left. Now it's like a book that didn't end. I will miss your blog. Thank you for the enjoyment. I will continue to scope out your kitchen from time to time. Take Care!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I miss your blog too. :( I have tried and tried to like chai but it isn't for me. One of my friends is a huge fan though, so I'll direct her to this. Miss you guys!!

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that looks and sounds nasty lol

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well then you can eat ME, jerk.

Looks awesome, Nicki!

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous l-arginine effects said...

I ordered some online. You can always find it on my kitchen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home