Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Shrimp Bisque



I'm making this again tonight for dinner as it has become a family favorite. I got this recipe from one of my cook books, The Stuffed Cougar. I suppose it's a cook book that was "passed down" to me through marriage. It was originally Mike's Mother's book. It has been well loved it seems over the years. There is a list of committee members on the first page most of them, I imagine were mommy's and wives themselves. What better committee of people to put together a cook book?

While there may be more difficult ways to create shrimp bisque, this recipe is both easy and delicious. There is a typo of sorts in the directions. It calls to pour the cream/milk in 2 times. I'll record it how it appears on the recipe below however, I usually will pour the milk in with the broth and then at the last minute put the lemon zest in. This prevents the lemon zest from getting bitter. For my taste it's a bit salty so, I use caution when adding the salt. It may have to do with the salty chicken broth that I use. Because Josh is still drinking whole milk, I use this in the bisque instead of light cream.

Finally, Barbara thank you so much for handing this down to Michael. I'm looking forward to using many more recipes in this book.

  • 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1 Tbsp. onion, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • Dash of Pepper
  • 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup minced shrimp
  • 1 Tbsp. minced parsley
  • 2/3 cup light cream or top milk
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest

Melt butter in saucepan, and cook onion until golden, stirring occasionally. Add flour and seasonings; blend. Add milk and broth gradually, while stirring constantly on low heat. Mix in shrimp and parsley, cook 10 minutes. Add cream and lemon rind, reheat. Serves 2 as a main course & 4-6 as a first course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home