Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lemon-Herb Sauce

I found the recipe for this sauce in October 2005 addition of Real Simple Magazine. I have found so many recipes in here that I use on a regular basis to feed the family. Most of the recipes that I've found in this magazine are not fancy at all. They are mainly fast and easy. However, many of the recipes do not seem simple when being placed on the table.

Last night, I used this sauce in a shrimp stir-fry. I try to use whatever vegitables that are in season in the stir-fry. However, here in Japan much of their produce is very high quality so I have many choices. Last night, I used bok choy, carrots, and asperagus. Being that this is a Lemon-Herb sauce, it might be traditionally used with chicken, pork, shrimp, scallops or even firm cubes of Tofu. This may even serve as a good marinade for fish, seafood or poultry. If someone tries this sauce with beef please let me know how it turns out!

A quick blurb about Tofu. If you have never cooked or eaten Tofu, please give it a try! Tofu for the most part is flavorless and absorbs the flavors of sauces and broths very well. Infact I have finally convinced my "steak-and-potatoes husband" to eat tofu. The easiest way to cook tofu for a stir-fry, is to first place oil in a wok (or large pan) and fry it until the Tofu takes on a beige color on all or most sides. Then add the vegitables and sauce. Cooking the tofu like this will prevent it from breaking up. In the past, I've actually cut firm tofu in the shape of french fries and baked them with a little bit of seasoning salt and olive oil. My son loves these. He calls them "french fries" and I give him marinara sauce to dip them in. A much healthier version of french fries!

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 1/2-3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbs. basil
1 1/2 cilantro

Combine soy sauce, lemon juice and sugar in a medium size bowl. Stir or whisk liquids until sugar is dissolved. Add the garlic, basil, and cilantro. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home