Thursday, February 02, 2006

Snap Beans Gremolata

I believe that it's part of a mother's duty to get something "green" on the dinner table every night. By "green", I mean any kind of vegitable excluding, potatoes and corn! Over the last 2 years of being a mother, it's been a tough job to come up with new recipes for veggies that were low fat and still tasted great. (no broccoli covered in Velveta!) Believe me, I'm not perfect. We still have lots of days where Mac & Cheese and Hot Dogs are on the menu. I try my best...hey, we're all human.

I found this recipe in Woman's Day Magazine. (In fact, I stole the pages from my mothers magazine copy! SHHHHH!) It sounds more exotic than it really is. If you can't find yellow wax beans, don't fret. This works well with strait green beans. I've substituted in the recipe loads of times. From switching fresh parsley to dried , using bottled lemon juice, using limes instead of lemons. The results have always worked well. I don't love green beans but, they are healthy and this recipe helps them go down a little easier for the whole family. I usually don't add the zest of the lemon as it tends to be a little too lemony for our taste.

Watch the beans while you boil them and test one out 5 minutes into the cooking process. It can be tricky getting them to your liking.

12 oz each green beans & yellow wax beans
1/2 finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 Tabspoon each grated lemon peel, lemon juice, olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 pods)
1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper

Boil beans 7-8 minutes until tender (NOT SOGGY). In a bowl mix remaining ingredients. Add hot beans & serve.

1 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

This sounds good. I'm gonna have to try it. My kids hate anything green. But I will not give up! I just put a green bean recipe on my blog too that my cousin taught me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home