Thursday, September 14, 2006

Autumn's In Season

After reading some "diet" books and cook books, the common theme to most of them was Always by Fresh and In Season Produce. Because I've been spoiled in California, I was always able to get just about any fruit or vegetable any time of the year. Since our move, I've been learning to dive deep into my cavemen roots and try to instinctively learn about what fruits and vegetables are best to cook with at a certain time of year. I came across a fantastic list of in-season produce that I thought I would document for myself and share with everyone. Late Summer and Fall is generally considered to be the Harvest Season, so there are many, many different types of fruits and vegetables to choose from around this time. Some of these are fairly exotic. However, many of these I could use for seasonal recipe ideas.

apples
apricots, dried
artichokes
bananas
beets
Bell Peppers, Purple
Blueberries
bok choy
broccoli
broccoli rabe
brussel sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
cauliflower
cranberries
Currents, dried
dates
Eggplant
Endive
Figs
grapes
green pears
Jerusalem artichokes (these are not an artichoke)
jicama
kale
Kohlrabi
leeks
lemons
mushrooms
onions
oranges, navel and mandarin
parsnips
pears
persimmons
plums
pomegranates
potatoes
prunes
quinces
raisins
raspberries
red chiles
squash, orange flesh
swiss chard
turnips
watercress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home