Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ginger-glazed Salmon


Ah, Salmon. Fish in general is a healthy meal. However, salmon packs an Omega-3 -heart disease fighting punch that most other seafood lacks. However, be warey of buying farmed salmon. Unfortunately, it's the cheaper kind! Usually in America it will have printed on the package whether it is farmed or wild. Although farmed Salmon for the most part does not pose an immediate health threat, it contains higher percentages of PCB's and other toxins and according to some studies is much higher in fat content. Not to mention it messes with our enviroment. Ok, enough of me standing on my soapbox. Anyway, I'm unsure as to whether the Salmon that I buy from the local grocer is wild or farmed considering it's all printed in Kanji! I believe it's wild though because of it's bright color and smaller appearance. If your in the states buy some wild salmon for me!

The trouble with most people when it comes to fish is coming up with creative tasty ways to prepare it! If your here in Japan, unwrap it from it's deli package raw, slice it, dip it in some soy sauce, maybe add some wasabi and viola, there's your meal! Fish is general makes a fast easy meal any day of the week. This recipe that I pulled from Parenting Magazine, takes the cake when it comes to speed! Seriously, this should take about 10 minutes tops. I prepare this with some Couscous which only takes about 5 minutes to make. When preparing the couscous, I plop in a handful or two of frozen peas in the pan making it a complete meal. I like to get salmon with the skin still on if I can. Just because I think it adds a little more moisture to the meat while cooking and it slips right off after it's been cooked. However skin on or off it will turn out fantastic!

Cooking Spray or some olive oil
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1.5 lbs. Salmon

Preheat broiler and coat a broilerproof pan with cooking spray. (line the pan with foil to make clean up that much easier) Mix sugar mustard, soy sauce, and ginger in a small bowl. Make shallow cuts diagonally across salmon fillets (This lets the glaze flavor the salmon quickly and speeds up cooking). Brush salmon with brown-sugar mixture. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Keep in mind that salmon just like beef will actually cook just a tad further once removed from the oven. Serves 4

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Antipasta said...

This sounds delicious & easy enough for the non-cooks like me. I can't wait to try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home