Sunday, February 26, 2006

Black Bean Salmon


OK, before I start out on how great this is, I want to send a serious THANK YOU out to our San Diego friend Charles who sent this to me in one of his comments on my food blog. He in turn, heard of the recipe through a local celebrity cook; the cooking guy. Below is a link to his site. Before departing from San Diego, I had heard of this guy. However, his show/segment on the news only showed late in the morning when I was well on my way to all kinds of mommy errands around town.

I had serious doubts that I would find black bean & garlic sauce at the commissary but luckily, I found it! The Yokosuka commissary really caters to the Filipino, Chinese, and Japanese crowd so it's great if you're willing to venture into the world of Asian cooking. Above is a picture of what black bean & garlic sauce looks like in the package.

This definitely has a sweet and sour feel to it and as simple to make as boiling water....well almost. If the reader hasn't been able to tell, I'm a real fan of minimal ingredients. It makes most dishes easier and in most cases, doesn't take or "confuse" the taste buds away from the natural flavors or the main ingredient. I used 2 large salmon fillets and saved some of the extra sauce for the stirfried Bok Choy that I served along side it. This is what I pulled off the cooking guy's site. Enjoy!

'Only three ingredients, but it tastes like fifty. The black bean & garlic sauce is available in the Asian aisle at any supermarket. Look for the Lee Kum Kee brand.'

4 tablespoons apricot preserves
2 tablespoons black bean & garlic sauce
4 salmon fillets

-Mix apricot and black bean in a small bowl and stir well
-Spoon some over each fillet
-Broil about 10-12 minutes, depending on thickness (remember, let your fillets sit for a minute or 2 before serving. They have the same trait as a steak; they cook a little more once they are out of the oven.)
-Yum

He has some other recipes you may want to check out at http://www.thecookingguy.com

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicki,

I'm glad you liked the recipe. Maggie and I just had it again last night but used strawberry preserves instead of the apricot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home