Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pop!


To quote the president: "Yes we can!".....make popcorn in the microwave without buying special microwave popcorn. Maybe I should have stamped "sucker" on the top of my forehead but it really didn't occur to me that I could do this. I thought that the white-little-skinny-old man had some magical patented component in their paper bag that could make popcorn in the microwave. I mean, it's really convincing especially since the bag has to be placed "just right" ('THIS END UP') or it will explode my microwave...... right? So, imagine my amazement when all of my core beliefs about microwave popcorn where just thrown out the window?! That's right, a plane brown paper lunch bag and some popcorn kernels are all you need. (and of course your choice seasoning). It took a little trial and error the original recipe I found called for 1/2 cup kernels. I really did end up with popcorn exploded all over my microwave. Just not enough room in the bag for all of that. I also tried the butter flavor in a bottle. Stupid me looked at the label after purchasing....120 calories per Tbsp. vs. 102 calories in Tbsp. of butter....unless a person has IBS I say, "BUTTER IS BETTER"

Yes, I could purchase my own popcorn popper but, honestly, I'm too cheap for that. So far this has been my favorite combo. I'd very much like to try something different and lower in calories. A few weeks ago I tried lime and salt flavor. Not something I created just bought a box of it. (Again with the white-skinny-old-guy brand)So flippin' yummy.

I'd like to try something like this on my own. Again, a 1/4 cup kernels is about 200 calories plus butter.....that's over 300 calories....dieticians help me out here! Somehow I need to get the calories down. 1/4 cup kernels after it's been popped fits in my ramen bowl. It's a good snack and I think the size is right for one person. Maybe I'm wrong but any less than this and I'm gonna be reaching for something more to eat.

Brown lunch bag
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
1 Tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp popcorn salt

  • Watch these guys carefully because it will burn quick!
  • Place kernels in paper bag and fold paper bag several times. Don't staple the bag. (Metal & Microwaves don't mix!).
  • Place the bag standing up in the microwave.
  • At my microwave set at 900W, it takes about one minute and twenty seconds. Again, listen to it and find out what works with your microwave.
  • Melt butter for 15-20 seconds in the microwave after popcorn is popped.
  • Open bag of popcorn, drizzle with butter, close bag again and shake up.
  • Open bag, sprinkle with salt close bag and shake up again.
  • Pour in to a bowl for aesthetics and enjoy.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Blogger Poppy said...

Nicki,

I've heard you can do this but I've not ever found exact instructions on how to do make your own microwave popcorn! Thanks for this really helpful information!

If you don't mind, I'm going to post a link on my blog to this particular posting.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Poppy said...

Okay, here is my posting letting my readers know about your post!

Thanks again for your great tutorial!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger mri.dad said...

Awesome idea! Will have to try it tonight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home