Sunday, January 28, 2007

Puffed Oven Pancake


I finally had a chance to try this out once I replaced my 10 inch skillet with one that had a metal handle so, I could easily transfer it from stovetop to oven.

I went on a small hunt for a German Pancake recipe online when I first tried this puffed pastry at The Original Pancake House in San Diego. At this restaurant, it's called The Dutch Baby and, is served to one person. However, in my Better Homes and Gardens book it says it serves 6.......hmmm maybe this is an indication that serving sizes have gotten out of control? Actually, maybe with a large fruit salad on the side this recipe could serve 6. Otherwise, plan on a side for even your family of 4.

It's super easy and makes a great presentation for a small brunch party. I usually top it off with powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice. YUM! It can also be topped off with traditional whipped butter and syrup, honey, jam, fresh fruit, etc.

The main reason I am including this in my blog is that soon, I will be headed off to the states and locked in my mothers kitchen to cook for my younger brother and sister. I don't mind. To me, it's time off while my mom spoils Josh. I'll be putting this blog to good use though considering I can't take my cook books!

2 Tbsp. butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 milk
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups sliced fresh fruit (strawberries, nectarines, pears, or peeled peaches) Powdered sugar or whipped cream. (optional)

1. Place butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Place in a 400 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or till butter melts. In a medium mixing bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat eggs till combined. Add flour, milk, and salt. Beat till mixture is smooth. Immediately pour into the hot skillet. Bake about 25 minutes or till puffed and well browned.

2. Top with fruit. if desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Makes 6 servings.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Weinraub Family said...

Nicki,
How funny you posted this. This is one of my all time favorite breakfast recipes. I am in my moms kitchen now, and forgot to email myself this recipe. I googled it and laughed when I say your blog come up. Thanks for helping a friend out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home