Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cheese Biscuits

This was the first recipe that I tried out of Paula Deen's cookbook, The Lady & Sons. Frankly it was quite appropriate as this is a staple at her restaurant in Savannah. They serve these biscuits to customers while they are waiting to be seated and they are also the first thing to show up on your table after you are seated. It' s rather comical to read the directions calling for tablespoon drops and in the next line advising the reader to use an ice cream scoop. I don't know of many icecream scoops the size of tablespoons! Mind you, I never said that Southern cookin' was health food! I've heard that the true Southern cook isn't thinking about the healthiness of your heart but rather the happiness of it!

These biscuits truely have that crumble factor and are the best biscuits that I've had outside of a Popeye's eatery.... I think they put crack in those biscuits.

2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/3 cup Crisco shortening
3/4 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat o en to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, and sugar together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Stir in buttermilk all at one time just until blended. Do not overstir. Drop by the tablespoonfuls (I use an ic cream scoop to give biscuits a nicer shape) onto a well-greased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I have made something similar with Bisquick. So yummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home