Monday, August 27, 2018

San Fransisco Joes (Joe's Special) VEGAN

Is it a NorCal thing?

Look out people.  I just make a childhood recipe and made it Vegan.  Alright, it may not be quite as I remember it.....but, I really remember it like this. 

Christmas morning in Lake Tahoe at my Grandparents home.  My Grandmother would always make what she called "San Fransisco Joes" Everyone loved it.  She was unapologetically a casserole kind of gal and this was no exception.  Not necessarily a casserole but a lot of good stuff mixed together. I didn't like it when I was young but then one Christmas.....it happened.  I couldn't get enough of this stuff! It must have been something I had to grow into. Maybe get that more sophisticated palet everyone talks about.

Fast forward many years later.  I did a little research and found out they call it "Joe's Special".  Find the original recipe and alittle more history here. I no longer eat ground beef, cheese, or eggs.  Have no fear! I created something that may just fit the bill.

Here's what you'll need:

Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs (I made the equivalent of 4 eggs)
1 tube of  Gimme Lean Sausage
1 yellow onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped
8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
2 large fist fulls of spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Sourdough bread
Non stick pan and Spatula


Cooking Directions:
  1. On Medium Heat Water sautee onion and garlic empty pan and set aside
  2. On Medium Heat Water Sautee mushrooms empty pan and set aside
  3. Make Eggs and then cook on Medium heat empty pan and set aside
  4. Cook sausage by breaking it up to look like beef crumble as it cooks. 
  5. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and egg to the pan and combine.
  6. Put in Spinach and cover pan to wilt then stir in spinach to combine.

Adjust heat as needed.  Every stove is different.  If any of the ingredients start to stick to your non stick pan, just add a little water.  No need for oil in this recipe. Serve on a plate with some crusty Sourdough bread (This is a Bay Area recipe after all!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home