Monday, January 16, 2012

Carrot Apple Muffins much?


So I figured out why I have a weight problem......I eat to much. I know, rocket science right? Go figure. Lately I've been on a semi health kick (so lets just forget about the the girlscout cookies I just bought....Okay?).

Maybe my train of thought is similar to slamming my head against a brick wall but, if I think that if I encourage my kids to eat healthy, that might rub off on me......in other words, maybe that metaphorical brick wall will actually shatter. After all, I do have a pretty hard head. (My stylist tells me so, so it must me true.)

My only saving grace when it comes to overeating is that I go to the gym and I eat at home almost all the time. Actually, to keep it serious for a split second, I do try to eat healthy.....my obsession with food does have a positive side effect. Most of the things I eat tend to be on the less processed side of things. I cook at home not just because I want to eat healthier but because it's cheaper and really, it creeps me out to eat out all the time......after all, do I really know whats going in my food when a perfect stranger is making it? Do I really know if they washed their hands before they left the bathroom? What are the health and safety standards in Germany? When food is made under a different agenda (out of profit margins instead of "love") the ingredients can magically change.

Before I left Sacramento we were planting veggies and fruit in the back yard and I was contemplating having a couple of chickens, maybe I bat house set up, and a bee hive in the back. Yeah, my husband who is in the environmental business thinks I'm an absolute granola-crunching-tree-hugging-nut-case but, still he must endure all of my deep thoughts (Through better or worse right?).

Readers may notice I am not perfect with my ideals.... In fact, if a reader is on some witch hunt for hypocrites he can stop right here.....I am one. I go out to eat and I do enjoy junk food. But, it's because I'm not perfect. I guess the point is that I'm striving for it (perfection). That's the point of it all right? -'Every effort is a success, even if you don't see the results'

So let me not stray entirely from my title and get all preachy which, I tend to do sometimes....making the average reader nauseated.

Carrot Apple Muffins.

Our family loves blueberry muffins on weekend mornings. I like them too. I can freeze them and then nuke them later in the microwave during the week. Despite our muffin love affair, these little delicious boogers are made with sugar and white flour. The only redeeming quality is that they are made with blueberries and not chocolate chips. (That's like telling myself that I can have 2 lunches because I did an hour on the elliptical....completely justifiable right?) To switch things up I found and touched up a recipe to make my own. Carrot Apple Muffins. These are pretty darn yummy. My recipe calls for apple sauce but I'd imagine grated apple with a dash of lemon zest could possibly make a tasty alternative. I'll have to try it out and possibly update.

Makes 12 muffins


  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup packed finely grated carrots (about 2 med. size carrots grated)
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (preferably unsweetened but any kind will do)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk (again with the almond milk she says! Oy vey!)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil


  1. Preheat oven to 450F (230C)
  2. Spray muffin with non-stick cooking spray or line cups with papers
  3. In a med/large bowl combine dry ingredients
  4. In a med/small bowl combine wet ingredients (this includes the apple and carrot)
  5. Pour wet ingredients in with dry ingredients and combine
  6. Spoon batter into muffin tin cups
  7. Bake for about 20 (do the toothpick test)
  8. Let them cook for as many minutes as you can stand and then serve with butter/margerine or plane.
I tried them with margarine and I say "barf" but my husband liked them better this way. So to each their own I guess. (what a weirdo.... Love you hon!)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home