Thursday, February 09, 2012

Just Beet It


The other day I was watching Doctor Oz (and eating bon bons....HA! Ya right) and he had a guy on there who memorized 52 decks of cards. He is in the Guinness Book of World Records. His memory is impeccable. Guess what his #1 food is for keeping up his memory? The very humble beet. Yes, beets. Apparently beets are recommended to Alzheimer patients as well to help brain power.

This isn't the show I watched but, here's a link to more info about beets: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/antioxidant-youre-not-eating

I really like beets. I always have. Even when I was a little girl I ate them in my salad. Maybe it was their color that did for me but I always really liked them.

There were no fresh beets at the commissary. I should have looked out in town but, I was lazy so I went to the canned food isle (which by the way, I found the large cans of Organic diced tomatoes for $0.30 a can.....REALLY! That was my cheap thrill for the day! I bought what was left on the shelf.) this turned out pretty well. My kids turned their nose up at it....but hey it's beets not ice cream. One day, I hope they will appreciate healthy food on their own. In the mean time, I'm gonna keep trying.

Easy Beet Salad

2 Cans of Beets cut into bite size chunks. (Just boil fresh ones....use the greens too!)
Spinach Leaves roughly chopped (If your using canned)
2 large cloves of garlic (chopped, mashed or crushed)
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place beets, Spinach, and garlic in a medium/large bowl. In a small bowl wisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. Pour liquid/dressing over beets and toss.

Let this sit a little while before serving. The dressing will help mellow out the fresh garlic.

Yesterday we had this because it was a "Greek" style dinner. It was also Tu B'shevat the Jewish New Year for Trees (Also nicknamed the Jewish Arbor Day or Jewish Earth Day). Because we had record cold here in Germany, Planting a tree was a little bit out of the question. So, I bought an indoor palm. His name is Willard. With the Mediterranean style dinner and Willard "standing watch" it was a nice holiday evening.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Auntie Susan said...

Nicki, When you can get fresh beets try rosting them in foil with a small amt. of fresh tops attached. The yellow and orange beets are even naturally sweeter, I like them warm also or you can cool for salads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home